Kel Treseder has won round 2 of the Aussie Racing Cars Championship at Phillip Island at the weekend while second place getter, Ben Walsh’s result remains provisional pending an investigation into a race 4, lap one incident with defending champion, Brendon Pingel. 

1st – Kel Treseder

2nd – Ben Walsh (provisional)

3rd – James Duckworth

Race 4 – Sunday

IN A FRANTIC fourth race of the Aussie Racing Cars Championship Series, Trent Young has come through to take the win at Phillip Island and finished fifth overall for the round.

An engine change overnight and round favourites Ben Walsh (Dr Ink Tattoo Removal Chev Camaro) and Brendon Pingel (Spirit Of Lockyer Holden Cruze) both spearing off at the first corner helped somewhat. But Young’s surge from eight on the grid to the second off the start in his Direct Clutch Services Nissan Altima set him up for a solid result.

He passed race leader Kel Treseder (Fluid Management Australia) at turn 4 to lead the opening lap. Treseder regathered the front running on lap two at the same corner but ran wide on the exit and Young was through to the lead again, this time for the rest of the race.

The race was interrupted by a safety car after Ian Chivas (Silkgate Group Altima) and Ruth Bowler (40 Ford Coupe) speared off together at turn 12 on the second lap. Once the race resumed it was a two-lap flyer in the abbreviated race to the finish with Young clear of his opposition.

Treseder was under attack from James Duckworth (RDA Brakes Altima) in the final few corners but held on by just 0.012secs while Adam Uebergang (Uebergang Transport Ford Mustang) harried them across the line. The third also meant Duckworth finished third for the round.

Treseder’s second gave the first-time Phillip Island visitor in his first fulltime season the round win ahead of team mate Walsh who recovered to finish seventh behind Myles Bond (Tonsley Crash Repairs Toyota Aurion) and another series debutant David Sultana (Newline Transport Altima) who was fourth overall.

Meanwhile Pingel managed to finish 12th behind Grant Ludbey (The Torque Team Euro GT), Harley Haber (CEJN Australia), Kyle Clews (Darryl Lea Stix Altima) and Adam Casuccio (ACE Construction Group Euro GT).

In their wake the race did not end well for Chris Stevenson. He was unfortunately caught out in a touch with Zak Best which had the Stevenson Hertz Altima barrel role through a sand trap. Stevenson emerged unscathed and has spent the night in hospital under observation.

 Race 3 – Saturday

RACE THREE of the second round of the Aussie Racing Cars Championship Series ended behind a safety car. It was called after six laps due to a multi-car accident at turn 4 with the result reverted back to the running order at the culmination of lap four.

This was the full reverse grid, staggered start event which was given to Zak Best (Best Leisure Industries Euro GT) ahead of David Sultana (Newline Transport Toyota Aurion) and Grant Thompson (Samways Constructions Ford Mustang).

Peter Griffiths (Ford Falcon) and Ruth Bowler (40 Ford Coupe) shared the front row but by the end of the opening lap, Leigh Bowler (Nissan Altima) led the way until relegated to fourth by Thompson, Brad Eastman (Ford Mustang) and Reece Chapman (Ford Falcon). Kyle Clews (Darryl Lea Stix Altima) was well up the order but had taken off prematurely, when the front runners started.

Best had just moved to the lead when a spin by Glenn McNamara (The Torque Team Chev Camaro) caused a melee around him that involved several including both Bowlers, Harley Haber (Mustang) and Mark Griffith whose Iveco Euro GT was on fire. Wisely he pulled up at a fire marshal point.

Many of the fast cars that started in the third group had made significant progress, none more so than defending title holder Brendon Pingel (Spirit Of Lockyer Holden Cruze) who was up to third when the race was declared, having started 30th and would have been a better than even money chance of winning the race, if it had gone the distance.

Sultana was actually leading, having started 22nd while Trent Young (Direct Clutch Services Altima) was up to sixth from starting last but with the result wound back, was down to fifteenth.

Chris Stevenson (Hertz Altima) was given fourth ahead of Chapman, McNamara, Eastman, Leigh Bowler, Andrew Clarke (Holden Commodore) and Grant Ludbey (Euro GT). Pingel was placed eleventh ahead of the race one and two winner Ben Walsh in the Dr Ink Tattoo Removal Camaro.

Race 2 – Saturday

TEAM MATES Ben Walsh and Kel Treseder scored a resounding one-two result in the second race of the second round of the Aussie Racing Cars Championship Series at Phillip Island this morning.

Walsh charged from pole position to an immediate lead in his Dr Ink Tattoo Removal Chev Camaro over Treseder (Fluid Management Australia Camaro). But at turn 4 the first time, Walsh slipped wide and allowed Treseder into the lead.

Another miscue at MG Corner let defending title holder and current points leader Brendon Pingel (Spirit Of Lockyer Holden Cruze) through as well.

On the second lap, Walsh regained second and left Pingel in a scrap with Trent Young (Direct Clutch Services Nissan Altima) and just after half distance, Walsh was back in front, staying there for the duration.

Walsh won from Treseder while Pingel just held off Young for third. Behind them there was a good dice for fifth involving seven cars. Ultimately it came down to two, with Myles Bond (Tonsley Crash Repairs Toyota Aurion) storming through from twelfth to eventually pip James Duckworth (RDA Brakes Altima) on the line.

Behind them David Sultana (Newline Transport Aurion) got the upper hand over Kyle Clews (Darryl Lea Stix Altima) in the last couple of laps to finish seventh. They were closely followed across the line by Harley Haber (CEJN Australia Ford Mustang), Adam Uebergang (Uebergang Transport Mustang) and Craig Woods (Hertz Mustang).

Brandon Tucker was in the midst of this group until contact with Duckworth at turn 4, dislodge the front of his Variety Group Camaro and forced him to retire.

Adrift of those were Mark Griffith (Iveco Euro GT) and Blake Sciberras (Millennium Building Group Mustang) who duked it out all race long for twelfth.

Michael Rinkin (Rinkin Transport Altima) was another to find the limits at turn 4 where he speared across the track and clouted the tyre wall. Fortunately, he was able to get going and move the car out of harm’s way without the need for a safety car.

Race 1 – Friday

FROM THE start to the finish of the opening race in the second round of the Aussie Racing Car Championship Series at Phillip Island it was all Ben Walsh.

Driving his Dr Ink Tattoo Removal Chev Camaro, Walsh grabbed the lead from the outset and was never headed to beat team mate Kel Tredeser (Fleet Management Australia Camaro) to the line by 2.5 seconds.

Tredeser was embroiled in a three-way scrap for second with current title holder and points leader Brendon Pingel (Spirit Of Lockyer Holden Cruze) and Trent Young (Direct Clutch Services Nissan Altima) throughout the eight-lap race and swapped positions several times in the first four laps.

It was only in the second half of the race that Tredeser gained the upper hand and led the way to Pingel and Young in the race to the flag.

Almost eight seconds adrift of the battling trio James Duckworth (RDA Brakes Altima), Kyle Clews (Darryl Lea Stix Altima) and Brendon Tucker (Variety Group Camaro) grappled for fourth with Duckworth just holding on from Tucker.

Behind seventh placed Clews, Grant Ludbey (The Torque Team Euro GT) edged out Craig Woods while David Sultana (Toyota Aurion) was tenth ahead of Adam Uebergang (Uebergang Transport Euro GT), Myles Bond (Tonsley Crash Repairs Aurion) and Harley Haber (CEJN Australia Mustang).

After a camshaft failure in the lead up, Woods swapped from his Sinclair Ford Mustang to his Western Sydney Motorsport team mate Craig Thompson’s Hertz Mustang for the four races while Thompson will jump into the Sinclair Ford entry once it is repaired. Woods had dropped to 13th on the second lap before mounting something of a comeback to get inside the top ten.